Art and Science Symposium on Renewable Energy Technologies
July 26 – 28, 2012
In Pedvale Open-Air Art Museum and Salinas farm, Kurzeme region, Latvia
RENEWABLE LAB is a 3-day symposium that will take place from July 26 to July 28 in ‘rural lab’ settings of North-East Latvia. The symposium aims at exploring the potential of art and science collaboration in the quest for a sustainable future. The symposium will gather together artists and scientists who will introduce with their artistic explorations and scientific research in the field of renewable energy technologies. The participants will discuss how these two perspectives can be combined in order to develop new ideas for collaborative projects.
Testing the voltage of bacteria battery with electric clock. Feb 22, 2012. Photo: M. Ratniks. Read workshop review here.
CALL for participants and symposium description here (deadline July 9, 2012).
Symposium PROGRAMME covering latest updates here.
- Dr. Rasa Šmite (LV), artist, symposium organiser / RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture and Art Research Lab of Liepaja Universtity
- Raitis Šmits (LV), artist / RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture
- Dr. Jānis Kleperis (LV), scientist / Institute of Solid State Physics of University of Latvia, Head of Laboratory of Hydrogen Energy Materials
- Vladimirs Ņemcevs (LV), engineer / Institute of Solid State Physics of University of Latvia, Laboratory of Hydrogen Energy Materials
- Artūrs Gruduls (LV), engineer / Institute of Solid State Physics of University of Latvia, Laboratory of Hydrogen Energy Materials
- Ilze Dimanta (LV), engineer / Institute of Solid State Physics of University of Latvia, Laboratory of Hydrogen Energy Materials
- Zane Rutkovska (LV), Faculty of Biology, University of Latvia
- Mikko Laajola (FI)
- Voldemārs Johansons (LV), composer and artist
- Bartaku (BE), artist
- Mia Mäkelä (FI), artist
- Christoph De Boeck (BE), artist
- Patricia Portela (BE), artist
- Aistė Goda Viršulytė (LT), artist
- Vytautas Kazimieras Juozėnas (LT), student / Vilnius Academy of Arts
- Marija Marić (RS), architect and new media art student
- Mārtiņš Ratniks (LV), artist
- Anna Trapenciere (LV), artist / Art Research Lab of Liepaja University
- Agnese Ivane (LV), video editor / Liepaja University
- Maija Demitere (LV), new media art student / Liepaja University
- Rihards Vītols (LV), new media art student / Liepaja University
- Gatis Vaitovskis (LV), new media art student / Liepaja University
- Daina Siliņa (LV), symposium coordinator, Renewable blog editor / RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture
- Agnese Baranova (LV), symposium coordinator, press and communication manager / RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture
- Dāvis Bojārs (LV), technician and IT specialist
VIDEO REVIEW on the Symposium in regional Talsu TV aired also in national Latvian TV here.
LATVIAN NATIONAL RADIO (Latvijas Radio 1) on July 31 devoted part of the cultural programme “Kultūras Rondo” to Renewable Lab symposium in which Rasa Šmite, Jānis Kleperis, Artūrs Gruduls, Bartaku, Mikko Laajola, Voldemārs Johansons and Ojārs Feldbergs speak about the symposium (only in Latvian, “Kultūras RONDO” at 11:06, about symposium 5:30 – 25:30 min), listen here.
Support: EU Culture 2007-2013 programme, EU programme FP7 (in the framework of StudioLab project), the State Culture Capital Foundation of Latvia.